Thursday 25 July 2013

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lighting that does all the work."

I've had these boots since I was 13, and they are looking their age. The soles have suffered, no doubt in part to my early infatuation with them which resulted in wearing them for a year straight when I first got them. The leather is scuffed and faded, from deep indigo to lighter purples and pinks. The laces have been changed countless times due to damage both physical and sartorial (bright pink is not a route I'll go down again soon). And still, every time I think I'm going to get caught in the rain, I reach for them. They're like an old friend I've managed to keep in touch with, despite having moved and changed and grown (well, except for the size of my feet). I love them even more now than I did at 13. I love the battered softness of the leather, the change in colour when they inevitably get wet, the remaining bounce in the tired soles...


boots- Doc Martens, trousers- ASOS, jumper and hat- H&M, necklace- Forever 21
   

I think I just found myself writing a love letter to a pair of boots? Or an ode to well worn footwear perhaps? It's probably about time really. Nine years is a long time to be in a relationship without having considered penning some poetry.
  




Title quote attributed to Mark Twain

No comments :

Post a Comment